Friday, March 20, 2009

Dancing with my father...

Today was one of those "aha" days. I took my dad to the hospital for a colonoscopy. 3 years ago they found several precancerous polyps during his procedure. Cancer is rampant in his family and the question is not if he will get cancer but when. So, we both faced today with some trepidation.
As we are sitting in the prep area, the all to family feeling of nervousness set upon me. Not to long ago I faced cancer head on when my Mom valiantly fought lung cancer. It was then that my thoughts were interrupted as my dad said, "you know Christi if I have advanced cancer I'm not getting any treatment". As the lump in my stomach settled he began to explain that after seeing my mom die the way she did, he had no plans on putting himself through the same. We then went on to discuss advanced directives and such. No machines, if its his time...its his time. No heroic measures!
As my dad was taken away for his procedure I was left alone with my thoughts thinking....OMG what if he does has cancer......I would be an orphan! Life's hard, I get it....but come on! This past year has drilled the point in. We are all mortals and as such WILL die. But why do some have to die/suffer so young.........

No comments: